Return to Higher Education
Return to portfolio
The White Building, located on the east side of the Hub Lawn, is a combination of two buildings. The south building was constructed in 1928 as a women’s activity center and included a multi-use gymnasium, 25-yard deep end swimming pool, two multi-use activity rooms, rifle range, 6-lane bowling alley, and associated locker rooms and support spaces. The north building was constructed in 1966 and includes two multi-use gymnasiums, rifle range, fencing room, six squash courts, associated locker rooms and support spaces, and a lobby which connects both buildings. The 70,000 SF building was not air conditioned and had undergone only minor renovations since 1966.
The primary design goals for the project were to provide flexible, comfortable, visually-controllable activity spaces and to transform a dark, confining, uninviting building into an open, inviting, visually exciting gallery of physical fitness. The new activity areas within the renovated space include a strength training area, cardiovascular area, aerobic room, martial arts / boxing room, two multi-use rooms, modern dance area, student activity lounge, and locker room facilities (for students, faculty, staff and teams). A new 18,000 SF addition includes a new 25-meter lap and recreational swimming pool, expansion of existing team gymnastics practice facility and associated locker rooms.