Cultural & Non-profit
Return to Cultural & Non-profit
Return to portfolio
The initial 1996 project created a museum and visitor’s center from the former Orr’s Department Store (comprised of five brick commercial and warehouse buildings, constructed between 1850 and 1929) and the former Farr’s Shoe Store building. The architectural challenge was to knit these existing buildings into a single 95,000 SF facility, which was further complicated by varying floor levels in the multiple buildings. The prominence of the new “whole” building on Easton’s Centre Square dictated that the complex’s historic architectural roots be respected through major renovation and reconstruction.