Return to Higher Education
Return to portfolio
Multi-phased conversion of historic (c. 1913) gymnasium into “wellness center” for use by the entire University community.
Renovations included a new multi-level fitness center, expansion of the sports medicine area, updated athletic offices, updated locker rooms, new ceilings and lighting, and new finishes throughout the facility. Updates were also completed to the racquetball and squash courts, wrestling area and the Morrissey Pool. Additional renovations included three student lounges, video conferencing / lecture room, library, meeting rooms, seminar rooms, main entrance lobby, and the University Athletic Hall of Fame.
The renovations also provided new building systems including HVAC, electrical, lighting, plumbing, fire suppression, fire alarm, telecommunications / data, security and connection to the campus chilled water distribution system. An 8,000 SF addition expands Faculty / Administration office space, and a future 15,000 SF addition will contain a new diving well.
Three new accessible entrances provide direct access to major building functions from existing campus pedestrian circulation routes. Traffic flow was improved within the building with the addition of a new five-level enclosed stair tower, a three-level open stair, a two-level open stair and a four-level elevator. This conversion necessitated major structural alterations including selective removal of existing floor and wall areas and new interior windows which enhanced visibility between circulation spaces and activity areas.